A place to record the great, the good, and the really bad recipe served at dinner at The Taj McCall along with a Family Rating System.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken

Everyone in my family loooooves rice. Except me. So anytime I make Asian inspired food (I'm not naive enough to believe that this is an authentic dish), they all rave about it and I think it's just good enough. I doubled the recipe so we'd have enough leftovers for two meals. I'm pretty sure this would freeze well.

Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 5
Salt and pepper
1 cup of honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Cornstarch
Sesame seeds

Place the chicken thighs in the crockpot insert and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
In a medium sized bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine well. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours. When done, remove chicken from stock pot and cut into chunks. Prior to putting the chicken back in the stockpot, combine some cornstarch (I used a couple big tablespoons) in water and whisk it into the crockpot to thicken up the sauce a bit*. Throw the chicken back in and stir around to recoat the chicken in the sauce. Serve hot over a bed of white rice and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

* When I did this, it didn't thicken up the sauce very much and I was kind of disappointed. Then, for leftovers, I heated it back up in a skillet on the stove and the sauce thickened up much more to my liking. Next time, I'm going to pull the sauce out of the crockpot and thicken on the stove so it will be the way I want it.

Family Rating:
Brad: ****
Jordan: ***
Eli: *****
Phoebe: *****
Overall Family Rating: 17/20

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great. Since Carthal doesn't like rice (and maybe a few other reasons) Ron didn't get any rice growing up. Now he craves food with rice, especially Asian food. He'll love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's the first time I've been able to comment on this blog. I have really enjoyed reading all your recipes and the stories about them. It's fun knowing what each of you like. I've made at least a dozen of your recipes and we usually rate them about what your family total is. Maybe "McCalls are McCalls"

    ReplyDelete