A place to record the great, the good, and the really bad recipe served at dinner at The Taj McCall along with a Family Rating System.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cheesy Sausage Hash

I pinned this awhile back on Pinterest and was waiting around for it to get cold because it looked like a cold-weather dish to me. I got tired of waiting and made it for dinner this week. I ended up doubling it because I had originally thought about upping the meat a bit and I wasn't sure how many cups I could get out of one bag of SIMPLY POTATOES.  Turns out, I had enough of everything to make two recipes and then freeze half before baking. I liked the cubed potatoes I used, but next time I'm going to use the SHREDDED ones because I think it will be more of what I imagined. It was still good (Phoebe *loved* it) and I'm totally excited to have another pan ready to go in my freezer! 

Cheesy Sausage Hash
3 cups potatoes, peeled, boiled, and cut into cubes OR 3 cups Simply Potatoes (found in the refridgerator section at your local supermarket)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt & pepper
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, diced
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb. smoked sausage
a sprinkle of paprika

Cut sausage in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch half-circles. Cook in a skillet over medium heat, turning frequently, until slightly brown. Place your potatoes in a 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt. (I was worried my potatoes would be under salted and an under salted potato is a travesty.) Add the meat and give a gentle toss. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all remaining ingredients (except sharp cheddar and paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted, and smooth, whisking constantly. You're basically making cheese gravy. :) Salt and pepper this, too, until you're worried it's a little too salty. (Seriously, I did this and my hash was perfect. I was worried it would be too salty, but it wasn't.) Pour cheese gravy over meat and potatoes. Sprinkle with sharp cheddar and paprika. Bake for 35-45 minutes. (Mine actually took close to an hour to absorb and thicken with all that cheesy goodness, but my oven cooks a little slow. Just keep watch and plan for extra time if you're oven is like mine.)

Adapted from FOOD.COM

Family Rating:
Brad: ****
Jordan: ****
Eli: ****
Phoebe: *****
Overall Family Rating: 17/20

No comments:

Post a Comment