A place to record the great, the good, and the really bad recipe served at dinner at The Taj McCall along with a Family Rating System.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pesto Chicken with Tomato Cream Pasta

This was one of those recipes I was sooooo excited to try, but I thought it was a total flop. I didn't like it. At all. Brad and the kids, however, really liked it. Go figure. I thought it was ugly and tasted a little bitter. In the recipe's defense, I did change the way it was cooked. I was in a super hurry (we found out Eli had baseball practice at the very last minute so I was rushing to get it made) and didn't want to dirty 3 pots. Maybe I would have liked it better had I actually followed the recipe. We'll probably never know, though, since I don't think I'll ever make it again. However, I'm still posting it since my family liked it and maybe yours will, too. 

Pesto Chicken with Tomato Cream Pasta
1/2 bottle of Lawry's Herb and Garlic Marinade
4 large spoonfuls of pesto (divided)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 oz. penne pasta
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 cup half-and-half

Cut chicken into 1-inch strips. Marinate in marinade and 2 tablespoons pesto overnight. Boil pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, brown chicken and discard marinade. Add the garlic right at the end. Remove chicken and deglaze the pan with chicken broth. Pour in tomato sauce and the remaining 2 tablespoons pesto. Stir until heated through. Taste to adjust seasonings. (I think I added salt & pepper.) Stir in the half-and-half. Add chicken and pasta back to the pan. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.

Adapted from SOUTHERN GIRL COOKING

Family Rating:
Brad: ****
Jordan: *
Eli: *****
Phoebe: *****
Overall Family Rating: 15/20





1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could save this recipe for one of those nights when you go out with friends and leave the kids with Brad :)

    ReplyDelete