A place to record the great, the good, and the really bad recipe served at dinner at The Taj McCall along with a Family Rating System.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pepperoni Pasta

Since we seem to be going in 846 different directions every day, I'm on the lookout for extremely-fast-with-easy-clean-up dishes that I can whip up and still feel like I'm fulfilling my mom duties by cooking dinner. This one fit all the requirements, although Brad and I thought the sauce fell a little flat. Next time, I'm going to use either spaghetti sauce or add a packet of spaghetti seasoning to the tomatoes. But the kids loved it!


Pepperoni Pasta
1 lb. penne pasta
2 green, red, or yellow bell peppers (I had a red and yellow bell pepper chopped and frozen on hand in my freezer so it was even more super-fast! They're my favorite so it worked out nicely.)
2 cloves garlic
28 oz. crushed tomatoes (Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, please use Hunts; NOT a store-brand!)
Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, sugar
4 oz. pepperoni, cut in halves (I used turkey pepperoni)
about a cup of grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese or Italian 5-cheese blend

Cook pasta according to package directions (don't forget to salt your pasta water!). While it cooks, sauté the peppers in a large skillet. When they're crisp-tender, add garlic and cook another minute. Stir in tomatoes, pepperoni, and seasoning. Cook over medium heat until pasta is done. Taste to adjust seasonings. (I added a lot of seasonings and it still was a little bland. Next time I'll use spaghetti sauce or add a packet of spaghetti seasoning.) Drain pasta and add to sauce. Stir to combine. Serve topped with lots of cheese!

Adapted from EAT AT HOME COOKS

Family Rating:
Brad: **
Jordan: **
Eli: *****
Phoebe: *****
Overall Family Rating: 14/20

No comments:

Post a Comment