A place to record the great, the good, and the really bad recipe served at dinner at The Taj McCall along with a Family Rating System.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tortellini Pesto Pasta

I got this pasta recipe from my sis-in-law several years ago. It's a big hit around here because it's perfect to throw together and great for leftovers! The kids love it in their lunches the next day. I'm a little embarrassed to even post it because it's not so much a recipe as it is throwing some things in a bowl together.  


Tortellini Pesto Pasta
frozen or refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini (I usually use a 20 oz. bag of frozen tortellini because it's cheaper and makes a nice amount)
pesto sauce (You can make your own, I guess, but I just use the CLASSICO brand because it's good, inexpensive, and I can find it on the pasta aisle at Wal-Mart.)
pine nuts, toasted
grated Parmesan cheese (a couple of good handfuls)
1-2 cups diced grilled chicken (I use leftovers if I've got them or I buy the pre-packaged grilled chicken breasts in the meat or deli department at Wal-Mart.)
sundried tomatoes, cut up (I don't always use this because I can't always find them at the grocery store. I'm pretty sure the stockers at Wal-Mart and my local grocery store think it's funny to move this product around weekly!)


Cook and drain tortellini according to package directions. Toast the pine nuts and try not to burn them like I always do. Heat up the chicken in the microwave. Chop the tomatoes, if using. Transfer the tortellini to a glass bowl with a lid (so leftovers will be easier to store). Stir pesto and add about 4 tablespoons. I don't measure this. I just stir some in and then decide if I need more. Stir in the pine nuts, cheese, chicken, and tomatoes. Add more pesto if it needs it.  That's it! :)

Family Rating:
Brad: ***
Jordan: ****
Eli: *****
Phoebe: *****
Overall Family Rating: 17/20

No comments:

Post a Comment